Arts Commission seeking nominations for annual award
The city of San Marcos Arts Commission is seeking nominations for the San Marcos Arts Advocacy Award to honor artists, arts and cultural organizations, community members and businesses, students and friends of the city who have contributed substantially to the cultural and artistic life of the community.
Nomination forms are available online at www.sanmarcostx.gov/arts or in person at the Grant Harris Building, 401 E. Hopkins St. The deadline for nominations is Monday, Sept. 15 at 5 p.m.
The purpose of the award is to encourage and recognize outstanding support and enhancement of the arts and cultural life of San Marcos, to recognize the important contributions of artists and arts organizations to the quality of life and economic vitality of the community, and to encourage volunteerism and business participation with local arts organizations.
Past recipients include: Dr. Arlis Hiebert, Linda Kelsey-Jones, Ophelia Vasquez-Philo, Kent Finlay, Kyle Mylius, and Jerry Touchstone Kimmel.
Criteria for selection includes:
• Providing an art form for public enjoyment and or participation
• Expanding opportunities for artists to create, show or perform their work.
• Strengthening the role of the arts, encouraging learning in the arts and/or promoting continuing arts education programs
• Broadening public awareness of the availability, excellence, and diversity of the arts in the community
• Any achievement that has contributed to the development of community participation in, and awareness of, the arts in San Marcos
For more information, contact Lisa Morris, Recreation Programs Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or the San Marcos Parks and Recreation Department at (512) 393-8400.