Riley’s Tavern turns 80

Riley’s Tavern, located just outside of San Marcos, was known as Galloway Saloon before it became the first beer joint in Texas after the end of Prohibition in 1933.

It’s known to be haunted. But it’s also known as the first Texas beer joint after the end of Prohibition.
In the fall of 1933, James Curtis Riley, who was only 17 at the time, drove the 45 miles from Hunter to Austin with his uncle in a Model “T” car. The two camped out at the Capitol building waiting for it to open and ended up being the first person to get a beer license in Texas after Prohibition.

Click here to read the full story in our e-Edition.